top of page

Guide to EWP Licensing in Victoria

Understanding EWPs

EWPs are powered mobile plant designed to lift or lower people and equipment by a

telescopic, hinged, or articulated device, or any combination of these, from a base support.

EWPs are generally of either an articulated or boom-type variety.

Types of Elevating Work Platforms 

The three most common types of EWPs include: 

  • Vertical lifts

  • Scissor lifts

  • Boom Lifts

Training and Licenses for Elevating Work Platforms 

In Victoria, obtaining an EWP license is an opportunity to numerous prospects in the building and construction industry. However, it’s essential to understand the types of EWP licences available and which is the best suited to your career aspirations. The two primary certifications you’ll encounter are the General EWP Ticket up to 11m and the high risk work licence for EWP over 11m.

Commonly referred to as EWP operator licence, this nationally recognised course is designed for those who need to operate a Boom Lift with length up to 11 metres, a scissor lift and / or a vertical lift.  Origin Institute issues a digital pass to students on successful completion of this course that links to the Statement of Attainment CPCCCM3001 - Operates elevated work platform up to 11 metres. The digital card can be added to Apple Wallet or some Android Wallet App (example App).

Operating boom lifts that extend over 11 meters presents unique challenges and risks thus requiring advanced training beyond the scope of General EWP ticket. To operate this equipment, you are required to hold a high-risk work licence - (WP class). On successful completion of this course, students receive a Statement of Attainment; TLILIC0005 Licence to operate a boom type elevating work platform (boom length over 11m) issued by Origin institute and an assessment Number from WorkSafe Victoria by email or a written Notice of Assessment. Students are required to lodge their High-Risk work licence (WP class) application with their assessment results within 60 calendar days. 

High Risk work licence vs Working at Heights

High Risk work licence for EWP over 11m does not particularly cover working at heights; these are two different courses. Working on an elevating work platform naturally means you’ll be working at height at times, however getting your high-risk EWP operator licence does not automatically cover you for height safety work in different scenarios. The High Risk EWP training course will, however, make sure you know how to safely use some safety equipment, like a safety harness.

As per WHS regulation, workers need a high risk work licence (WP class) to operate a boom-type EWP where the length of the boom is 11 m or more. For other types of EWPs, employers must still make sure the workers operating them know how to operate them safely with the right training, information, and instruction. Other people with specific WHS duties relating to EWPs include:

  • EWP designers, manufacturers, importers, and suppliers

  • The EWP owner

  • People who manage or control the EWP or the workplace where the EWP will operate.

  • The competent person who inspects the EWP

  • The EWP operator

High-Risk Work Licence in Another State or Territory

Your General EWP Ticket (up to 11m) is generally valid across Australia, but this is different for the High-Risk work licence (WP class). If you wish to conduct high risk work in a different state or territory to where your licence was granted, contact the WHS regulator in the state or territory where you want to work to check that your licence is recognised.  [VIC link], [NSW link], [QLD link], [WA link],[Tasmania],[SA link]. You must also inform the local WHS regulator if you have changed your address.

Renewal of an Expired High Risk Work Licence

In Victoria, your high-risk work licence (WP class) is currently valid for 5 years. You must not conduct high risk work until your licence has been renewed. Please refer to guidelines from WorkSafe Victoria to learn more about renewing your licence. 

Maximise your EWP Qualification

Understanding the distinction between the two types of EWP licensing is crucial as it affects the training you’ll need and the types of jobs you’ll be qualified for upon certification. If you're looking to enhance your career prospects in the construction and trades industries, consider enrolling in our comprehensive courses. Some additional courses offered by Origin Institute you might consider alongside your EWP training are.

  • White Card – This course focuses on safety procedures and practices for all individuals working on construction sites.

  • Traffic Control – This course ensures the safety of fellow workers, motorists and other road users when working with EWPs along road networks.

To conclude, achieving your EWP licence in Victoria is a decisive step toward career progression and Origin Institute simplifies the process. Simply select your course; whether it’s General EWP ticket for boom length up to 11 metres or High Risk work licence for EWP over 11m, our experts provide personalized advice to align with your career aspirations.

Recent Posts

See All


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page